- This event has passed.
Racism Is a Public Health Crisis: Race and COVID-19 in Rhode Island
July 9 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
A Center for Reconciliation Webinar
As of June 22, 2020, Black and Latinx Rhode Islanders represented around 25% of the state’s general population and 58% of the state’s COVID-19 cases, signaling a grossly disproportionate impact of the pandemic on Rhode Island’s communities of color. This race-based disparity, observed both in the state and nationwide, serves as yet another indicator of how the many legacies of American slavery and racism have shaped public health over centuries—the same underlying conditions that have created and perpetuated the concurrent pandemic of police violence against Black and Brown communities.
Join the Center for Reconciliation and a distinguished panel of Rhode Island medical practitioners, public health professionals, and health care executives for Racism Is a Public Health Crisis: Race and COVID-19 in Rhode Island, a webinar exploring this urgent, ongoing, and constantly evolving topic.
- How and why has the COVID-19 pandemic disproportionately impacted Black and Latinx Rhode Islanders?
- What might medical, public health, and health care professionals, policymakers, and all Rhode Islanders do to address racism as a public health crisis now and going forward?
- And, how do we see the lessons we’ve already learned about race and the COVID-19 pandemic relating to our shared past and informing our shared future?
The webinar features:
- Robert Naparstek, MD, FACOEM (moderator), occupational medicine specialist and Treasurer, Board of Directors, Center for Reconciliation
- David Casey, Vice President, Workforce Strategies and Chief Diversity Officer, CVS Health
- Michael Fine, MD, Health Policy Advisor to Mayor James Diossa of Central Falls and former Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health
- Marie Ghazal, DNP, RN, CEO of Rhode Island Free Clinic
- Pablo Rodriguez, MD, Medical Director for Community Affairs, Care New England, President and CEO of Women’s Care, Clinical Associate Professor at the Warren Alpert Medical School, Brown University, and former Medical Director of Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island
Participants may join the Zoom webinar either via video call or voice call.
To attend the webinar via Zoom, please use this information:
Meeting ID: 969 1658 8176
Call in number: +1 646 876 9923 (EST)
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acat2zDEL4